Re: AIC + RAID1 error? (was: Re: aic7xxx errors)

From: Frank Schneider (SPATZ1@t-online.de)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 17:55:13 EST

"Justin T. Gibbs" schrieb:

> >> Something other made me wonder:
> >> I ran the machine several times with the *new* aic7xxx-driver (TCQ=32)
> >> and the "aic7xxx=verbose" commandline, and i noticed the following:
> >> At every reboot (made by "reboot", RH7.1), the machine was not able to
> >> stop the raid5 correctly...it un-mounted the mountpoint (/home) and then
> >> it normaly wants to stop the raid...(you see the messages "mdrecoveryd
> >> got waken up...") but that did not work and after some time (30sec) the
> >> kernel Ooopsed.

> >Same behaviour for RAID1 and the new aic7xxx driver for me at nearly every
> >reboot. The old driver works just fine (2.4.9).
>
> The new driver registers a "reboot notifier" with the system. If MD
> continues to perform I/O after the aic7xxx driver's notification routine
> is called, the result is undefined. The aic7xxx driver has already
> shutdown the hardware. Perhaps I should use a different event to indicate
> it is safe for me to clean up the hardware?

What about a kind of timer ?

If the driver gets the "reboot"-note, watch for activity and shut down
the hardware 5 or 10 secs after the last activity ?

Shutting down the Userprocesses is done in a similar way..."Send
term"...sleep 5...Send Kill..."...and when this happens, all unmounts
and kills should have already occured, so it can only be a question of
<5 secs until the last (raid-) process has exited.

Other possibility would only be to let the kernel send this message just
before he reboots the maschine via a BIOS-call...but even then you would
have to wait a little until the hardware reacts...difficult problem...

Solong...
Frank

--
Frank Schneider, <SPATZ1@T-ONLINE.DE>.