Re: natsemi.c (linux 2.4.9) - Something Wicked happened! 18000

From: Tim Hockin (thockin@hockin.org)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 01:37:06 EST

> kernel: eth2: Setting full-duplex based on negotiated link capability.
> kernel: eth2: Something Wicked happened! 18000.
>
> With tcpdump at the other computer i got all the echo send icmp packets
> but the NS NIC didn't seem to receive the echo reply packets!
>
> I searched the linux kernel mailing list and found a post with this same
> error. Tried to override link negotiation with mii-diag but no luck.
>
> They said that after an upgrade from 2.4.5 to 2.4.6 the error
> started to appear. So, i grabbed the natsemi.c source code from 2.4.5,
> compiled it and the system is now working fine, even with 100MbpsTx-FD,
> giving 10MByte/s.

aha! So I'll check the diffs since 2.4.5 - thanks for the data point. One
thing I did to make this error go away was increase the RX ring - I don't
have the code here, or I'd post a patch. If you wait until tomorrow, I'll
pop into work and check out the diffs and post you an elementary patch, and
you can tell me if it goes away.