Re: kernel hangs in 118th call to vmalloc

From: Timur Tabi (ttabi@interactivesi.com)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 15:41:21 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
> vmalloc shouldnt be hanging the box, although in 2.4.2 the out of memory
> handling is not too reliable. You have to understand vmalloc isnt meant to
> be used that way and the kernel gets priority over user space for allocs so
> is able to get itself to the point it killed off all user space.

So you're saying it's a bug that I can't work around?

It's probably a moot point. I've come up with a different algorithm
that allocates all but 32MB of RAM, and it appears to work well.

I heard that 2.4.9 doesn't even run "thrash". Is this true? If so, why
are these buggy VM's being released in the first place?