Spurious VIA bug messages in 2.4.7-ac5

From: Ken Moffat (ken@kenmoffat.uklinux.net)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 14:31:15 EST

Apologies if this has already been fixed, but I don't remember seeing it
mentioned before. I've just booted my test box after nearly 3 weeks
downtime, and I noticed the following message a couple of times in the
first 5 minutes. I assume it's harmless.

reg_kipling kernel: probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost
reg_kipling kernel: probable hardware bug: restoring chip configuration.

This is from the log, the screen display said something about a probable
VIA chipset. The only problem is that it doesn't use a VIA chipset. It's
a Jetway 542C mobo with a K6/2 and an ALI chipset. I compiled it with
gcc-3.0, so it might be a gcc/kernel interaction.

More data (config, whatever) available if required.

Ken

--
   Never drink more than two pangalacticgargleblasters !
Home page : http://www.kenmoffat.uklinux.net