Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?

From: Phillip Susi (psusi@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 04:21:36 EST

I have just such a system and thought I'd note that the stock smp kernels
that redhat 7.1 and slackware 8.0 installed would lock up intermitently. I
couldn't get through a build of the kernel. I ended up booting into the UP
kernel, got and built the 2.4.9 kernel, and have not had any trouble since.
For the processor type, I selected athlon, that enables the optimizations you
are talking about right?

System specs: dual Athlon MP 1.2 Ghz on Tyan's mobo with the dual ethernet
and u160 scsi, 512 megs corsair cas 2.5 registered pc2100 ddr sdram, and
seagate's second generation 15,000 rpm cheetah, using the NMB 460 watt power
supply that tyan recomended.