Treating parallel port as serial device

From: Tony Hoyle (tmh@nothing-on.tv)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 15:09:12 EST

I'm looking to attach a serial device to my box that has only TTL level
I/O. Since I'm more of a software than a hardware person making a
circuit board up with a max232 in is a bit risky... I want to connect
the I/O to the parallel port.

What I need now is a driver that can read the input from a pin on the
parallel port and treat it as serial input. It sounds like the kind of
project that would have been done before, but I can't find anything that
even comes close. Userspace probably wouldn't cut it as I'm reading as
9600 baud and usleep doesn't have nearly enough resolution.

Tony

--
Microsoft - two out of three dead people who expressed a preference
said their coffins preferred it.