Re: A tester is needed with dual P3 and USB

From: Frank Schneider (SPATZ1@t-online.de)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 18:09:11 EST

Pekka Pietikainen schrieb:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 06:22:04PM -0400, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> > Hi, All:
> >
> > I received a complaint that a UP kernel hangs on boot if USB is
> > enabled. SMP works. An SMP kernel started with "nosmp" hangs too.
> > The reporter is, umm, how shall I put it... is a power user.
> > I need someone to help me to track the problem down, because
> > I am curious. I heard of SMP hangs before, but a UP hang is
> > a novel idea.
> >
> > The box is VA Linux 1000 (similar to IBM Netfinity 4000r).
> > Kernel is 2.4.8-ac10.
> Doesn't VA use one of those Intel boards which have the problem
> with theis BIOS, which is seen as a hang with the adaptec driver?

Thats the problem i can reproduce here (ASUS-P2B-DS with Dual PIII/850,
USB and AHA2940U2W-SCSI onboard, Kernel 2.4.2/3-SMP), SMP-Kernels with
option "nosmp" simply stop when they try to access the SCSI-System, the
aic7xxx-driver loads (no matter if build-in or module), but stucks at
initializing the first device.
No Ooop or crash, it simply does nothing any more.

But a "real" UP-Kernel (i used the one from RH7.1, 2.4.2-UP) has no
problems with booting here.

Solong..
Frank.

--