Re: patch-2.4.10-pre1

From: Kurt Garloff (kurt@garloff.de)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 18:15:49 EST

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 01:25:45PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Ok, I'm back from Finland, and there's a 2.4.10-pre1 update on kernel.org.
> Changelog appended..
>
> The most noticeable one (under the right loads) is probably the one-liner
> by Daniel that avoids some bad behaviour when swapping.

Looks like a good one.
Actually, I got two wishes for 2.4.10:
* It hopefully overcomes all the VM trouble
  (this list is full of reports; some of my observation look like creating
   dirty pages in the page cache at a high rate makes your system crawl.
   An efficient way is use mkfs with Andrea's blkdev-pgcache patch, but
   it's not the only way.)
* It'll hopefully be identical to 2.5.0,
  so people have a kernel to put experimental stuff in instead of 2.4.x
  Good things can always be backported, once proven stable.

Regards,

--
Kurt Garloff                   <kurt@garloff.de>         [Eindhoven, NL]
Physics: Plasma simulations  <K.Garloff@Phys.TUE.NL>  [TU Eindhoven, NL]