Re: memcpy to videoram eats too much CPU on ATI cards (cache trashing?)

From: Peter Surda (shurdeek@panorama.sth.ac.at)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 17:01:27 EST

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 11:40:44PM +0200, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> However, as the X server manages to finish doing what it has to do before
> the next timer tick, it will almost never get a timer tick accounted to it.
Yes, I also realised that, and other people also seem to think it is this way.

So the conclusion is basically that the card can't chew data that fast and I
should use busmastering instead of memcpy (and other drivers should do that
too because "hidden load" occurs anyway). I'm working on it.

Thanks to all who replied, I am as always pleased by the cooperation in
open-source world and wish everyone good luck. Yeah, and linux rocks of course
:-)

> Roger.
Bye,

Peter Surda (Shurdeek) <shurdeek@panorama.sth.ac.at>, ICQ 10236103, +436505122023