Re: ISSUE: DFE530-TX REV-A3-1 times out on transmit

From: Urban Widmark (urban@teststation.com)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 14:02:29 EST

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, David Schmitt wrote:

> > Reloading the module is to the hardware about the same as the watchdog
> > reset.
>
> Good news: Under 2.2.19, reloading the module indeed reset the card,
> so that it worked again.

Interesting ...

> > Rebooting obviously triggers something else too ... perhaps the BIOS talks
> > some sense to the card.
>
> As mentioned above, it seems like the 2.2.19 version does the Right
> Thing (but doesn't recover autmatically).

The 2.2.19 version doesn't do anything on timeout (except print a message
that it is resetting, which it isn't :). The driver has a few changes
during the 2.4 series:

2.4.3 was patched to actually reset things on tx_timeout, but that also
changed the startup sequence.

2.4.6 got changes to reload certain things from eeprom when the driver is
loaded (fix a problem with booting from win98 that does a power down).

2.4.7 changes to the transmit code to use "singlecopy" for unaligned
buffers.

2.4.8-acX fixed a bug in the startup code from 2.4.3

Testing the 2.4.2 and 2.4.3 drivers could give something (should work to
simply copy the drivers/net/via-rhine.c from the different versions into a
2.4.9 source tree).

> but doing one or two parallel ping -f other.machine locks the NIC for
> good.

Good (that you have a reliable way to trigger this). For about how long do
you need to run this?

> The network where the DFE530TX (and the other.machine) are attached
> contains some 20-30 Windows PCs and some Novell Servers which all seem
> quite braodcast-happy. The network itself is (mostly) unswitched and
> 10Mbit halfduplex, so I guess this really is connected to the
> collisions.

Depending on the sort of access you have, you could test unplugging
everyone else and repeat the 'ping -f' test.

I don't have the hardware to test now, but when time permits ...

/Urban