Re: VCool - cool your Athlon/Duron during idle

From: Jan Niehusmann (jan@gondor.com)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 04:53:57 EST

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 02:26:09AM -0700, Grover, Andrew wrote:
> system's ACPI tables indicates they can be used. If you are attempting to
> use C2 even if your system explicitly does not support it, you are asking
> for trouble, just like AMD's errata says.

Motherboard vendors may have disabled the bus disconnection because of a
3% performance hit, to make their boards look better in benchmarks.
In that case, the system may run perfectly stable with disconnection reenabled.

I agree that these experiments should not be performed on a production
system :)

> This results in better battery life on a laptop but that is irrelevant on a
> desktop system.

Well, I think saving ~55W is relevant, even on a desktop system. I plan
to measure how much power these hacks really save, and if it's more than
10W, I think it's worth some more work in this area.

Jan

(asus writes that one of the problems that can happen with this power
saving mode are the huge changes in power dissipation, from 60W to 5W
and back - therefore I assume the power saving mode can save up to 55W)