Re: VIA Rhine problem in 2.4.9-pre4

From: Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com)
Date: Sun Aug 26 2001 - 23:41:25 EST

Urban Widmark wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Ben Greear wrote:
>
> > This last time it happened, I noticed this printed to the console:
> >
> > eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, entry 0x9 length 0 status 00000600
> > eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame c7572090 vs c7572090.
>
> I can't answer what this is, but I can point you to a prevous discussion
> on the subject:
> http://uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/net/0006.1/0005.html
>
> I assume that this is not a problem that you only get on 2.4.9-pre4, but
> on any kernel version you try?

I believe the problem was that my program that reads information out of
the drivers (IP, mask, MTU, QLEN, and the MII-diag flags) was in a very
tight loop, and so was almost constantly trying to read the information.

I fixed that problem, and haven't seen the NIC lock up since. If I
get a chance, I'm going to make a stand-alone GPL version of that code, and when
I do I'll add an option to stress the kernel/drivers and see if I can
reproduce this NIC lockup.

Thanks,
Ben

> Drivers for other cards have also reported this (search on google).
>
> Donald Beckers answer to a question on this subject:
> http://uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/net/9801.1/0159.html
>
> > I looked at /proc/net/dev and didn't see too many errors (there were a few, though,
> > including carrier errors). I tried replacing the cable but that did not fix
> > the problem. The link does come back up after reboot...
>
> Does unloading the modules and then reloading it help? (assuming you run
> it as a module). ifconfig down/up is another variant some people have
> used for other problems.

ifup/down didn't help, but I didn't try reloading the module.

Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>          <Ben_Greear@excite.com>