Re: suggestions for new kernel hacking-HOWTO

From: Rusty Russell (rusty@rustcorp.com.au)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 09:01:41 EST

In message <998602169.405.21.camel@elixr.jfreak> you write:
> Hi all,
>
> I am considering putting together a new, more in depth kernel hacking
> HOWTO.
>
> The existing HOWTO (by Rusty), although an excellent source of technical
> information does not contain much practical advice on how to get
> started.

This sounds fantastic! I'd always hoped that my document would be a
starting point for something more substantial, yet it never happened
8(

One word of warning: beware tying it too closely to shifting
architecture. In particular, the original HOWTO was aimed at pointing
experienced programmers in the right direction, not reading the code
to them.

Perhaps consider adding:

        Kernel Style
                Don't do it in the kernel
                Don't sprinkle ifdefs
                User interfaces: read/write better than ioctls
                Architecture specific code & portability
                GNU extensions

        Kernel Politics:
                Licencing
                How to get a patch in
                Who owns what code?

Hope that helps,
Rusty.

--
Premature optmztion is rt of all evl. --DK