Odd __alloc_pages failure in 2.4.9

From: Steven Walter (srwalter@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 11:33:44 EST

Running kernel 2.4.9, if I start xcdroast 0.98alpha9 as an ordinary
user, the system seems to freeze indefinitely.

If I start it as root, however, the system only freeze for 2-3 seconds.
After this time, if I check dmesg, I get a slew of __alloc_pages
failures, even 0-order failures.

Being unable to diagnose the complete lockup in the user case any
better, I assume that this is what's happening there, too, only
indefinitely.

The system is an AMD Thunderbird 900MHz with 2 IDE CD-ROM drives, both
use ide-scsi. One is a burner, the other is a DVD-ROM drive.

I'll try and get a backtrace of whats happening during the lockup later
when I can hook up my serial console.

--
-Steven
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.