Re: yenta_socket hangs sager laptop in kernel 2.4.6-> PNPBIOS life saver

From: Gunther Mayer (Gunther.Mayer@t-online.de)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 05:27:23 EST

kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> Hello!
>
> > So we have another way besides several INTs to detect the avail mem :-)
>
> Well, if this memory is available then I guess port 0x1000 is "available"
> as well and all the rest of ports are not available. :-)

Read "available" as "onboard".
Before you use onboard resources you should know what it is !
Surely you don't want to place a PCI ioport window over unknown ports
(as this is what yenta did).

> No, something is rotted in this kingdom.
>
> > Probably PNP0C02 wants to be reserved, too.
>
> What's about these, they are nice port and could be used by our irq handler.

These ports are not nice here and should not be user by the irq handler:
           PNP0c02 Motherboard resources
        io 0x0290-0x0297

> According to docs they replace functionality missing in standard
> int. controller ports for this chipset.

What docs ?

> What's about passing parameters from bios setup to linux...

The BIOS setup uses PNPBIOS to pass parameters to Linux :-)

> This is amusing, but not more. I am sorry, I still prefer to use usual
> kernel command line instead of some ugly foreign interface.

You miss the point of PNP and user-friendliness.

This is a necessary interface to prevent (nearly undebuggable) linux hard hangs !

However, Gerd's debugging forces and his new patch already solve this thread
by giving a working solution.

-
Gunther