VIA Rhine problem in 2.4.9-pre4

From: Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 01:55:41 EST

It seem that my built-in ethernet NIC has either gone bad, or the
2.4.9-pre4 drivers are bad. It only seems to happen with this one machine,
so it could be hardware. The symptom is that the NIC looses the ability
to transmit. It does receive pkts OK (ie it received an ARP request from
my other machine, and answered according to tcpdump, but the pkt was
never put on the wire it seems.

Here is a snippet of the dmesg:

eth0: VIA VT2043 Rhine at 0xe000, 00:50:08:00:35:c6, IRQ 11.
eth0: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x782d advertising 05e1 Link 0021

This last time it happened, I noticed this printed to the console:

eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, entry 0x9 length 0 status 00000600
eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame c7572090 vs c7572090.

I looked at /proc/net/dev and didn't see too many errors (there were a few, though,
including carrier errors). I tried replacing the cable but that did not fix
the problem. The link does come back up after reboot...

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>          <Ben_Greear@excite.com>