Re: [OT] Howl of soul...

From: Justin Guyett (justin@soze.net)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 13:33:17 EST

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Samium Gromoff wrote:

> If you are to buy a new ide drive, do not buy
> recent IBM 7200 drives!!!
<snip>
> Ofcourse he had similar problems.... (btw he use windoze)

This is a known issue that allegedly has nothing to do with the drive, and
everything to do with a bug in many ide controllers. I have my 307030
running just fine in windows 2k with an intel i815 board.

I *think* the i8xx N/Sbridge chipsets all work fine with the drives. Mine
do. A quick search shows complaints with: BX, amd 751, kt 133a, highpoint
chipsets.

Does anyone know what this bug actually is, and whether there's a possible
workaround without disabling udma entirely?

justin