Re: Will 2.6 require Python for any configuration ? (CML2)

From: Denis Perchine (dyp@perchine.com)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 02:13:29 EST

On Friday 24 August 2001 13:35, Leonid Mamtchenkov wrote:
> Once you wrote about "Re: Will 2.6 require Python for any configuration ?
> (CML2)": DP> On Friday 24 August 2001 02:41, Tom Rini wrote:
> DP> > You've said this before. :) Just how small of an 'embedded' system are
> DP> > you talking about? I know of people who do compile a kernel now and
> DP> > again on a 'small' system, for fun. On a larger (cPCI) system, I
> DP> > don't see your point. If you can somehow transport the 21mb[1] bzip2
> DP> > kernel source to your system, you can transport python. If you're
> DP> > porting to a brand new arch, there's still good tests before you
> DP> > have shlib support (You've mentioned that before too I think).
> DP> There is another point why having Python installed is a problem. Usually when
> DP> you install a server you remove everything from it because of space, and
> DP> security reasons. The main security concern is the less is installed the
> DP> better security is. I always remove python from any servers I have. As I
> DP> remove guile, forth, and other useless (in terms of server) languages. Now
> DP> you tell me that I should have this bloat installed just to configure my
> DP> kernel. Do not you think that it is too much? Current kernel does not require
> DP> anything like this.

> Why should you have gcc and make on the server then? Compile you kernel
> on another machine and then just install it on your servers. This way
> you will not only save space and improve security, but also gain some
> time, which is always good.

That's nice idea, but it does not have any connection to subj.
I prefer to do things the way I do them now. Anyway I need compiler for other things.
I have lot of C/C++ daemons running, and want to fix problems right there.
But having Python just to configure a kernel is an overkill. Why not Sather, or other rarely used language.
Oberon-2 would be also nice.

This is just a laziness of people who do not want to make things right. Actually interesting question
is what Linus think of all this crap?

--
Sincerely Yours,
Denis Perchine

---------------------------------- E-Mail: dyp@perchine.com HomePage: http://www.perchine.com/dyp/ FidoNet: 2:5000/120.5 ---------------------------------- - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/