Re: Will 2.6 require Python for any configuration ? (CML2)

From: Jes Sorensen (jes@sunsite.dk)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 15:43:46 EST

Tom> On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 10:02:07PM +0200, Jes Sorensen wrote:
>> I am actually much more concerned about bringing up new systems
>> than embedded however it is not uncommon to have very limited space
>> to work in (like 64MB).

Tom> 64mb of space for 'disk' ? You aren't compiling the kernel
Tom> anyhow without some serious mucking around.

You may keep your binaries in flash on system like that.

>> My point is that the transport process of the kernel image is
>> painful. Some of the embedded devices or new systems being brought
>> up may only have serial some do not have network or floppy. This
>> makes it *very* painful to move things around because you have to
>> physically move your disk or similar.

Tom> And you think that trying to transport the kernel srcs + userland
Tom> will save you time in the long run? If you have to physically
Tom> move your disk to initially put userland on, you can put on
Tom> python too. Or go and run the 'freeze' schitt on it and have the
Tom> C version. What kind of 'new' systems are you talking about?
Tom> I'm biased I guess since I'm used to working on documented
Tom> hardware. So documents + time + good hw debugger tend to help
Tom> things along.

What I am saying is that I do *not* want to transport source
etc. every time I want to make a kernel change. And no I *cannot* just
put Python on it if I a) don't have the space or b) haven't brought up
Python on the system yet.

I am not speaking of any new systems I am working on right now, I am
speaking from my experience bringing up systems such as the m68k and
ia64.

Tom> Because with the exception of your unique situation in which you
Tom> have a machine which is stable enough to compile a kernel on and
Tom> develop but can't run python, it's not a problem.

As I have pointed out, it *is* indeed a problem to kernel developers
who are actually working on bringing up systems. Most of the people
who argue in favor of the Python dependency have never tried bringing
up a system.

Jes