Re: 2.4.8/2.4.9 problem

From: Stephan von Krawczynski (skraw@ithnet.com)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 10:39:20 EST

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:46:54 +0200
Daniel Phillips <phillips@bonn-fries.net> wrote:

> Marcelo already posted a patch to fix this problem (bounce buffer allocation).
> Look under subject "Re: With Daniel Phillips Patch (was: aic7xxx with 2.4.9 on
> 7899P)" with a correction in his next post.

Aehm, Daniel, just to inform you: Marcelos patch does not solve the problem. I just proofed it here. Is completely the same with or without patch.
I tried another thing which might be interesting. I think your opinion is that page_launder gives you free memory if available when the system runs short. But it does not. I tried the following:
DEF_PRIORITY in vmscan.c set to 0. This should come out as page_launder doing the complete pagelist over in search of free pages. And guess what: it does not find enough to keep the system running. In other words: at least the search strategy in page_launder is broken, too. I can see 500 Megs of Inact_dirty mem, but page_launder cannot find enough clean ones to keep a simple filecopy running.
Any ideas left.

Regards,
Stephan