Re: yenta_socket hangs sager laptop in kernel 2.4.6-> PNPBIOS life saver

From: Gerd Knorr (kraxel@bytesex.org)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 04:11:22 EST

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 07:18:20PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Try -ac Kernels with integrated PNPBIOS and "lspnp -v",
> > then you will see your "motherboard resources". No magic.
>
> Except on the intel boards [ ... bios bugs list snipped ... ]

2.4.8-ac8 works for me, and lspnp does list these "obscure"
ressources:

bytesex kraxel ~# /root/bin/lspnp -v
00 PNP0c01 memory controller: RAM
        mem 0x00000000-0x0009ffff
        mem 0x00100000-0x0bfdffff
        mem 0x0bfe0000-0x0bfeffff
        mem 0x000e0000-0x000fffff
        mem 0xffff0000-0xffffffff
        io 0x0398-0x0399
        io 0x0024-0x003d
        io 0x0062-0x0062
        io 0x0066-0x0066
        io 0x0090-0x009f
        io 0x00a4-0x00bd
        io 0x0230-0x0233
        io 0x1000-0x103f
        io 0x1400-0x140f
        io 0x3810-0x381f

01 PNP0c02 reserved: other
        io 0x0cf8-0x0cff
        io 0x04d0-0x04d1

02 PNP0c04 system peripheral: other
        irq 13
        io 0x00f0-0x00ff

03 PNP0000 system peripheral: programmable interrupt controller
[ ... more standard PC hardware follows ... ]

But it seems they are _not_ reserved by the pnp bios code, at least they
are not listed in /proc/ioports

> Before PnPBIOS can go mainstream we'd have to generate a detailed list
> of buggy bios signatures

Why? It shouldn't harm if disabled, so IMHO it should be fine when
flagged "experimental" and with a warning label about broken bioses in
Configure.help ...

  Gerd

--
Damn lot people confuse usability and eye-candy.