Re: 2.4.8-ac7: all serial ports not setup

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 15:42:03 EST

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Stephen Torri wrote:

> I am using 2.4.8-ac7 on a Dual P3@450Mhz. The machine has two serial
> ports. ttyS0 & ttyS2 are covered by the first with ttyS1 & ttyS3 covered
> by the second. Now typically in /proc/interrupts only one serial port is
> configured. The IRQs 3 & 4 are shared by the two ports. Its not consistent
> which one gets which IRQ. Sometimes the first has 3 and the second 4.
> Today the situation is reversed. This ofcourse is wreaking havoc on
> setting my pilot for synchronization.
>
> Is there a options that I failed to select while configuring the kernel?
> Do I need to add an option to the boot via lilo?
>
> I will do an idiot check by checking the bios.
>
> Stephen
>
> -

Don't know about 'modern' distributions, but serial ports are normally
set up only when they are used. `man setserial`. In the 2.x.x kernels,
the IRQs are assigned only when a device is opened. The IRQs are
released when the device is closed.

Why would you care what IRQ is being used for serial I/O? The API doesn't
even know. What do you mean by; "setting my pilot for synchronization"?

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

    was handled in the BIOS, I found that there aren't any.