Re: brlock_is_locked()?

From: Brad Chapman (kakadu_croc@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 13:00:56 EST

--- Ben LaHaise <bcrl@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Brad Chapman wrote:
>
> > restart:
> > if (brlock_is_locked(BR_NETPROTO_LOCK)) {
> > CRITICAL_SECTION
> > br_write_unlock_bh(BR_NETPROTO_LOCK);
> > }
> > else {
> > /* Let's get dizzy */
> > br_write_lock_bh(BR_NETPROTO_LOCK);
> > goto restart;
> > }
>
> That code can never work. None of the linux spinlocks track ownership, so
> checking if a lock is locked tells you if your process or another has
> ownership of the lock. The above pseudo code is going to result in lots
> of mangled data.
>
> -ben

Mr. LaHaise,

        Eeek! Sorry. What do you expect at 10:00 at night? ;-)

        I'm not talking about _who_ owns the lock, I'm talking about whether
the lock itself is locked. I don't care which process is using the lock;
I just want to know if _somebody_ is using it. Is this possible?

Brad

=====
Brad Chapman

Permanent e-mail: kakadu_croc@yahoo.com
Current e-mail: kakadu@adelphia.net

Reply to the address I used in the message to you,
please!