Re: Qlogic/FC firmware

From: Ricky Beam (jfbeam@bluetopia.net)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 09:44:14 EST

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Alan Cox wrote:
>> Amazing *and* unnecessarily complex. What a bargin! And it's still going
>> to consume that precious 128K even when loaded from usersapce as the driver
>> will still need to keep it. And aren't you one of the Preists of Text in
>
>No. We can jettison it and you know that in fact you commented on using
>__initdata in the non modular case, so stop trolling and if you are going to
>be a pain, at least be consistant in your arguments.

I'm missing the "in the case of sparc" clause. The sparc (and maybe others?)
have to keep the firmware image in memory in the case that it needs to reload
the sequencer. The initrd simply adds more tool-chains to keep up-to-date.
Any distribution supporting the Qlogic,FC will have to supply a firmware file
in binary form to initialize the card. And then you're right back to square
one in the binary distribution arena.

--Ricky