Could NFS daemons be started via inetd?

From: VDA (VDA@port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 08:29:23 EST

Hi,

I am setting up NFS on my Linux box.
When I start server daemons from init scripts or by hand,
everything is working fine.

I tried to arrange these daemons to be run by inetd
but after I issue an NFS mount command inetd starts spawning
tons on rpc.mountd daemons. Log is filled with:
rpc.mountd[179]: connect from 127.0.0.1
rpc.mountd[180]: connect from 127.0.0.1
and load average goes up (went up to 40)
I repeatedly killall'ed rpc.mountd and eventually inetd
noticed failing service and disabled it.

Does anybody tried this? If you do, I am very interested in your
inetd.conf and/or NFS part of startup script. Mine is:

inetd.conf
----------
# NFS daemons (FIXME: not working)
rquotad/1-2 dgram rpc/udp wait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/rpc.rquotad
nfs/2-3 dgram rpc/udp wait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd
mountd/1-3 dgram rpc/udp wait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
nlockmgr/1-4 dgram rpc/udp wait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd
rstatd/1-3 dgram rpc/udp wait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/rpc.rstatd

init script
-----------
echo "* Starting NFS services:"
echo " DEBUG: modprobe nfsd"
modprobe nfsd
echo " DEBUG: exportfs -r - I will convert /etc/exports to /var/lib/nfs/* conv"
/usr/sbin/exportfs -r # Does /etc/exports -> /var/lib/nfs/* conv
echo " DEBUG: rpc.rquotad - needed?"
/usr/sbin/rpc.rquotad
echo " DEBUG: rpc.nfsd 1 - 1 server started"
/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd 1
echo " DEBUG: rpc.mountd - listen to mount requests"
/usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
# With newer kernels, this starts by itself, but this won't hurt:
#echo " DEBUG: rpc.lockd"
#/usr/sbin/rpc.lockd
echo " DEBUG: rpc.statd - lock recovery after crash/reboot?"
/usr/sbin/rpc.statd

kernel: 2.4.5

Please CC me. I'm not on the list.