Re: Stallion EasyIO and devfs

From: Donald Thompson (dlt@dataventures.com)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 02:40:21 EST

devfsd and the compatability links work correctly as of 2.4.8 with the
patch you provided.

This is quite possibly user error and not a kernel issue, but it seems
pppd 2.4.1 breaks once I've got the stallion card under devfsd with
compatability links.

mgetty runs on device lets say, /dev/ttyE2 (symlink to /dev/ttyE/2), and
passes off incoming connections to pppd. I'm expecting pppd is gonna want
to look at /etc/ppp/options.ttyE2, but its not.

If I change stallion.c at around line 145 from:
static char *stl_serialname = "ttyE/%d";

To:
static char *stl_serialname = "ttyE%d";

so that the real device becomes /dev/ttyE2 rather than a symlink to
/dev/ttyE/2 pppd starts looking at the correct options file.

pppd seems to be able to handle the compatability symlinks just fine on
/dev/ttyS* devices and find the proper ppp options file to look at. So I'm
guessing they've got a hack to handle devfsd standard serial ports, or I'm
doing something wrong somewhere.

-Don