Re: Looking for comments on Bottom-Half/Tasklet/SoftIRQ

From: Anders Peter Fugmann (afu@fugmann.dhs.org)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2001 - 14:01:13 EST

chuckw@ieee.org wrote:
> Thanks
>
> So, Bottom halves don't need to be re-entrant as do tasklets. SoftIRQ's
> need to be re-entrant. The advantage of tasklets is that each tasklet can
> be farmed out to different CPU's AND they don't need to be re-entrant
> because only one instance is allowed at a time. I think I got it.

That is 100% correct.

> Could you direct me to some code in the kernel which uses tasklets
> so I can see the inner workings?

Actually very few systems in the kernel has been rewritten to use
tasklets instead og BH's.

But as they are very simillar to BH's, you should be able to use the
same thinking, its just a new API.

Take a look at include/linux/interrupt.h
(or http://lxr.linux.no/source/include/linux/interrupt.h, an invaluable
source when coding for linux).

Regards
Anders Fugmann