Swap size for a machine with 2GB of memory

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2001 - 01:42:33 EST

The Red Hat installation manual claims that the size of the swap partition
should be twice the size of physical memory, but no more than 128MB.

The screaming hotrod machine Gary Sandine and I built around the Tyan S2464
has 2GB of physical memory. Should I believe the above formula? If not,
is there a more correct one for calculating needed swap on machines with
very large memory?

(No further hangs, BTW.)

.. a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen... -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181) - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/