Re: Dell I8000, 2.4.8-ac5 and APM

From: Georg Nikodym (georgn@somanetworks.com)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 14:57:22 EST

On 15 Aug 2001 14:55:02 -0400, Georg Nikodym wrote:
> It's been a while since I've tried an -ac kernel...
>
> On my Dell I8000, when running 2.48-ac5 pulling the AC plug out (or
> plugging it back) causes the box to hang for a while prior to shutting
> itself off.
>
> I first reported this in 2.4.5-ac13 but didn't have the time to poke
> around.

Looking at apm.c, there's not enough difference to account for this
regression so I started looking more broadly. I found that in the -ac
tree there's a bunch of power management code that's been added to
arch/i386/kernel/apic.c (by Mikael Petterson).

Disabling APIC solves my immediate problem, so personally I'm happy.

Obviously, that not The Right Thing (tm) so Mikael, if you want a
debugging guinea pig, feel free to contact me.

My new config is attached.