/dev/random in 2.4.6

From: Steve Hill (steve@navaho.co.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 10:07:50 EST

Until recently I've been using the 2.2.16 kernel on Cobalt Qube 3's, but
I've just upgraded to 2.4.6. Since there's no mouse, keyboard, etc, there
isn't much entropy data. I had no problem getting plenty of data from
/dev/random under 2.2, but under 2.4.6 there seems to be a distinct lack
of data - it takes absolutely ages to extract about 256 bytes from it
(whereas under 2.2 it was relatively quick). Has there been a major
change in the way the random number generator works under 2.4?

--

- Steve Hill System Administrator Email: steve@navaho.co.uk Navaho Technologies Ltd. Tel: +44-870-7034015

... Alcohol and calculus don't mix - Don't drink and derive! ...