Re: kernel headers & userland

From: Abraham vd Merwe (abraham@2d3d.co.za)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 06:09:24 EST

Hi Eric!

> > Apparently Linus told Felix von Leitner (the author of dietlibc - a small,
> > no nonsense glibc replacement C library) a while ago _not_ to include any
> > linux kernel headers in userland (i.e. the C library headers in this case).
> >
> > This imho is obviously wrong since there are definitely a need for including
> > kernel headers on a linux platform.
>
> ??? Necessity no. Are there practical benefits yes.
>
> The policy of the kernel developers in general is that if your apps
> includes kernel headers and it breaks, it is a kernel problem.
>
> As for ioctl it is a giant mess that needs to be taken out and shot.
>
> And yes there are places where even the mighty glibc is in the wrong.

Just acknowledging that it is a problem doesn't solve the problem though.
The question remains how you approach the kernel headers issue at the moment?

My guess is the only way is by including the kernel headers for now and
change it one day when someone decides to clean up the mess.

--

Regards Abraham

Every absurdity has a champion who will defend it.

Device Driver Development, Outsourcing, Embedded Systems

Cell: +27 82 565 4451 Snailmail: Tel: +27 21 761 7549 Block C, Antree Park Fax: +27 21 761 7648 Doncaster Road Email: abraham@2d3d.co.za Kenilworth, 7700 Http: http://www.2d3d.com South Africa