Re: (OT) university studies?

From: Chris Wedgwood (cw@f00f.org)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 09:19:17 EST

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 12:32:59PM +0100, asmith@14inverleith.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

    When you posted your initial message I thought you were thinking
    of software. Windows products are I believe full of bugs
    basically because the source is not available for scrutiny.

Bah! I wish open-source advocates would leave this alone or at least
qualify things a bit better.

Yes, code scrutiny is often a good thing, but it doesn't make your
code bug free necessarily. Sendmail and bind are good examples here
of code that is (was) widely deployed, had many eyes on it --- and yet
sucked in terrible ways :)

Plenty of other 'available source' packages have had nasties, such as
wu-ftpd, mutt, pine, lynx and nntpcache.

Every now and then (like once or twice a year), someone finds a nasty
in Linux too....

  --cw