IP ToS routing problem and fix

From: Mark Frazer (mark@somanetworks.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 20:26:34 EST

Hi Alexey. I've been having a problem getting ToS routing working
properly, well, the way I wanted it to. Basically, it would not route
using anything except the RFC 1349 ToS settings.

I've prepared the attached patch to add a new configuration option to
allow routing based on RFC 2474 Diffserv DSCP values in the IPv4 TOS
field.

Attached is a test script which works for the following setup.

The test machine has eth1 and eth2 on the same ethernet network. There is
another machine on the test ethernet network that the test machine pings.
The IP addresses used in the setup are:
test:eth1 = 192.168.0.1.
test:eth2 = 192.168.0.2.
target = 192.168.0.3.

I've also included the output of the test for an unpatched 2.4.5 system
and a patched 2.4.5 system.

Please have a look and let me know what you think.

I wouldn't promote putting this in the regular kernel until I've let it
run around here for a few weeks.

cheers
-mark

--