RE: what causes Machine Check exception? revisited (2.2.18)

From: Simon Richter (Simon.Richter@phobos.fachschaften.tu-muenchen.de)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 13:49:22 EST

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Dan Hollis wrote:

> > Erm, it was bad RAM everytime it happened to me. On standard PCs, you
> > don't see those because you don't have ECC and the error is simply not
> > detected.

> So a 440bx motherboard with ECC ram is a non-standard PC?

I bet the board doesn't force you to use ECC RAM, so manufacturers will
not use it because it's too expensive and the average customer doesn't
understand what memory is and what it's used for. So yes, it's
non-standard.

   Simon

--
GPG public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: DC26 EB8D 1F35 4F44 2934  7583 DBB6 F98D 9198 3292