Re: SCSI Tape corruption - update

From: Rob Turk (r.turk@chello.nl)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 10:39:03 EST

"Lorenzo Marcantonio" <lorenzo.marcantonio@sinfopragma.it> wrote in message
news:cistron.Pine.WNT.4.31.0105071638470.346-100000@pc209.sinfopragma.it...

> As of my latest build [2.4.5-pre1] I've STILL got the tape corruption
> problem. Some new facts:
>
> (1) It happens only writing the tape (tried exchanging tapes with a
> brand new Alpha Digital Tru64 box). I can read her tape, she can't read
> my tape. Tried with GNU tar and gzip.

Lorenzo,

Have you ruled out hardware failures? There's been a few isolated reports
about tape drives returning good status on write, where in fact they were
writing corrupt data. This can happen when the compression hardware is
malfunctioning. On many tape drives, read-back check isn't carried all the
way back to the original (uncompressed) data.

Rob