very long time for booting after upgrading from 2.2.17 to 2.4.4

From: Olivier Bornet (Olivier.Bornet@puck.ch)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 07:45:33 EST

Hello,

I have update my kernel from 2.2.17 (with USB patch) to kernel 2.4.4. Now,
booting the kernel block for about 5 minutes when configuring lo and eth0.

The original distribution is a RedHat 6.2 on a PIII Dell portable (Inspiron
3800), with a PCMCIA card for the network (NE2000 compatible).

The PCMCIA modules are thoses from pcmcia-cs, and not those in the kernel.

I have updated the major packages (as wrote in Documentation/Changes) :
    - modutils 2.4.1
    - net-tools 1.60
    - pcmcia-cs 3.1.25
    - ...

Also, poweroff the system correctly take about 20 minutes. All work good until
portmap stop. After, all is really slowwwww.

I'm not 100% sure, but it seem starting in single mode, then exit boot without
problems. I need to re-test this to be sure, but it's not a good solution. ;-)

If anyone has a tip, thanks in advance.

                Olivier

--
Olivier Bornet                 |      français : http://puck.ch/f