Compressed iso9660 filesystem

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 20:10:19 EST

Okay, I think I now feel comfortable enough that I think I can unleash
this on the world...

I have made an extension to iso9660/RockRidge to allow for transparent
uncompression of block-compressed files. Because the files are
block-compressed, random access is fast; it uses a 32K blocksize which
gets pretty good compression ratios (I got 2:1 overall compression on
my SuperRescue CD; that includes a fair number of incompressible
files.)

The patches are available as:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hpa/filemap-2.4.4-1.diff.gz
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hpa/zisofs-2.4.5-pre1-5.diff.gz

(Both are needed.)

Additionally, the user-space utilities (a program to compress and
uncompress file trees, and a patch to mkisofs to generate the new
RockRidge records for compressed files) are available at:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hpa/zisofs/

If you test this out, please let me know; I'd like to know if anyone
actually cares about this... also, I would like to gauge if I have
messed up stability anywhere.

        -hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt