Re: SMP races in proc with thread_struct

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 11:04:02 EST

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Todd Inglett wrote:

> Ok, I've got this isolated. Here's the sequence of events:
>
> 1. Some process T (probably "top") opens /proc/N/stat.
> 2. While holding tasklist_lock the proc code does a get_task_struct()
> to add a ref count to the page.
> 3. Process N exits.
> 4. The parent of process N exits.
> 5. Process T reads from the open file. This calls proc_pid_stat()
> which dereferences N's task_struct. This is ok as Alexander points out
> because a reference is held.
> 6. Using N's task_struct process T attempt to dereference the *parent*
> task struct. It assumes this is ok because:

        Where?

> A) it is holding tasklist_lock so N cannot be reparented in a race.
> B) every process *always* has a valid parent.
>
> But this is where hell breaks loose. Every process has a valid parent
> -- unless it is dead and nobody cares. Process N has already exited and
> released from the tasklist while its parent was still alive. There was
> no reason to reparent it. It just got released. So N's task_struct has
> a dangling ptr to its parent. Nobody is holding the parent task_struct,
> either. When the parent died memory for its task_struct was released.
> This is ungood.

        If N is dead all accesses should return -ENOENT. No matter what
happens with its parent.

> My opinion here is that this is proc's problem. When we free a
> task_struct it could be "cleaned up" of dangling ptrs, but this is a
> hack to cover a bug in proc.
>
> This is not isolated to the parent task_struct, either. The task_struct
> mm is also dereferenced. It is pretty easy to validate a parent
> task_struct ptr (just hold tasklist_lock and run the list to check if it
> is still valid -- might not be the *right* task, but it will still be
> valid). However, how do you validate the mm is ok?

exit_mm() cleans task->mm. _Before_ the process dies. And it should do
that, for a lot of reasons. General principle: if you are doing
garbage-collection upon removal of the last reference - _remove_
that reference. Before you call destructor. Anything else is simply
asking for races.

Besides, all the exit_foo() can be done by a very alive kernel threads.
Suppose that exit_mm() didn't clean ->mm. Well, here comes losetup(8).
It binds loop device to a file and starts a thread for handling requests.
Said thread is created by kernel_thread(9). Which is a wrapper for clone(2).
So far, so good, but that thread gets a VM of parent. I.e. losteup.
That is _not_ good. For one thing, it means full-blown MMU switch whenever
we switch to loop_thread. And that will cost you. Since loop_thread has
no business using the userland part of MMU state it calls exit_mm(9) (it
calls daemonize(9). which, in turn, calls exit_mm(9)).

That picture is typical for kernel threads. knfsd, drivers' helper threads,
you name it. And unlike the relatively tame case of loop_thread (there
we have serialization between loop_thread and parent that will not
let parent to exit before loop_thread will do up(&lo->lo_sem) which is
after the daemonize() call) in general we can very well have parent
dead and gone by the time when child calls exit_mm().

See the problem? Child is very much alive, it's the sole owner of pointer
to mm_struct and it calls exit_mm(). Leaving the pointer around is _not_
a good idea.