Re: dhcp problem with realtek 8139 clone with rh 7.1

From: Michael K. Johnson (johnsonm@redhat.com)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 10:20:30 EST

In linux-kernel, you wrote:
>I have som problem with my realtek 8139 clone. It won't work with dhcp
>against my isp. I've just installed redhat 7.1 on a i386 with to (exactly
>the same) network cards, one that should be connected to my isp, and one
>the local network. My local network works fine, but when I try to start
>eth0
>(which is the card connecting to my isp) I get
>
>Determining IP configuration... Operation failed.
> failed.
>
>If I manually try to run 'pump -i eth0' I also get Operation failed.

This sounds more like pump failing to negotiate dhcp properly than
like a failure in the driver. Let's check that possibility first
before assuming a driver bug.

Install dhcpcd, chmod a-x /sbin/pump, and see if it works better
(if pump is not there or not executable, the scripts fall back to
dhcpcd). If so, please file a bug report against pump in buzilla
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/

michaelkjohnson

 Linux Application Development -- Ben Franklin
 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/