sparc: Run out of nocached RAM!

From: Matt Kemner (kemner@live.wasp.net.au)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 21:26:29 EST

Hi All

I run kernel 2.4.1 (from the Debian kernel-source-2.4.1-3 package) on an
Axil 320 (Dual Hypersparc) with 320MB of RAM, which just died (full
lockup) with the message "Run out of nocached RAM!" being the last message
on the screen. I located that printk in arch/sparc/mm/srmmu.c but I'm
afraid my kernel hacking skills are close to non-existant, so am hoping
for suggestions. (eg. "Don't run that kernel", "Please send more info",
"Go away or I will replace you with a very small shell script")

The machine is not under a great deal of load - it only runs the website
and mailing list for the local LUG, which previously ran OK on a Sparc
Classic with 32MB of RAM (albeit very s l o w l y) so I don't think it ran
out of memory.

I have posted the kernel config and dmesg output at
http://plug.linux.org.au/~kemner/

If you need anything else, please let me know

ADVthanksANCE

 - Matt Kemner
Perth Linux Users Group