Re: Device driver from kernel2.2.x to kernel2.4

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 20:39:33 EST

jalaja devi wrote:

> I want to port a Network driver from kernel2.2.x to
> 2.4. Could anyone please point me a handy pointer
> where i can find a complete documentation.

http://www.firstfloor.org/~andi/softnet/

Also, take a look at acenic.c and eepro100.c. They
both support 2.2 and 2.4. The compatibility macros
will provide pointers.

> I could find some, but not the complete changes
> required.
>
> Also, Approximate time estimation for this migration
> from an experienced developer would be much helpful.

It took me about 30 minutes to scruffily hack a 2.2 net
driver into the 2.4 APIs. I'd allow a day to do it
properly. Plus another day for testing, especially
if you want to support SMP well.