The 2.4 /proc module change

From: afei@jhu.edu
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 12:36:32 EST

In the old 2.x kernels, a /proc module registers itself through
proc_register(&proc_root, &proc_self) and unregister itself through
proc_unregister(&proc_root, inode)

But in the 2.4.x kernels, proc_register and proc_unregister are no longer
available. Compilation yields "implicit declaration of proc_register" that
means they are not defined in any header files. Besides, they are defined
as static now, so EXPORT_SYMBOL(proc_regiser) does not make it work
either. When trying "insmod proc_dev", the kernel says "unresolved
symbol: proc_register". I have searched and checked archives on
registering /proc entry, but I got no fruitful result. I am wondering if
this is a bug or /proc entry registration has been changed to another
undocumented method. The Linux kernel API shows register_sysctl_table
under "the proc filesystem" category. Is this the new API to register a
proc system. But its description says it will register an entry under
/proc/sys only.

I would appreciate it if you can give me some suggestions.

Fei Liu

Please send email directly to afei@jhu.edu