Re: Why recovering from broken configs is too hard

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 03:09:03 EST

Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com>:
> "Eric S. Raymond" wrote:
> > OK, so you want CML2's "make oldconfig" to do something more graceful than
> > simply say "Foo! You violated this constraint! Go fix it!"
> [...]
> > Have I got the point across yet? There are *no* good solutions
> > to this problem. There aren't even any clean ways to separate
> > easy cases from hard ones.
>
> No good solutions? Then how come I use "make oldconfig" every day...

You fix broken configs by hand. That's what you'll do in the new
system, too.

> IMHO "make oldconfig" must stay.

There was never any risk it would go away.

Everything you know is wrong. But some of it is a useful first approximation. - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/