Re: Hierarchy doesn't solve the problem

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 02:46:20 EST

Urban Widmark <urban@teststation.com>:
> Then it must somehow handle me trying to (incorrectly) answer X86=Y,
> SMP=Y, RTC=N in some order?

What it does is (a) always start with a valid config, and (b) not permit
any change that would make it invalid.

So, you froze X86 at startup. SMP gets asked early. If you specify
SMP=y, and then later try to set RTC=n, the configurator will not let
you do it and will explain why. At that point if you want you can go
back and change SMP.

> Perhaps I have missed something, but I really prefer the old oldconfig
> over the new oldconfig.

What's to prefer? You get essentially the same behavior unless you start
with a broken config.

This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it. -- John Adams, in a letter to Thomas Jefferson. - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/