Re: cannot find directory on cdrom

From: Andreas Mohr (a.mohr@mailto.de)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 02:40:52 EST

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 08:29:02AM +0100, Richard Polton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a cdrom burnt by a friend with W2000 (I know, friends don't let
> friends use W ;-) which has (at least) one directory on it which I
> cannot
> see when mounting the disk under linux. I am using kernel 2.4.4 and
> the mount command is the usual
>
> mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom -t iso9660
>
> I have Joliet compiled into the kernel too. I can send by private email
> the
> first 120 blocks or so of the disk if anyone is interested. I looked at
> this
> with hexlify and can see the mysterious directory (s?) which is called
> 'sturf'.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard
Hmm, is this the old "non-standard sector alignment" problem ?
Some CDs have their directory sector entries exceed the sector, and AFAIK
the problem is that they exceed it not entry by entry,
but in the middle of a directory entry, which violates the ISO9660 spec.
The Linux CD-ROM driver used to have a workaround for this,
but then after 2.0.x it seems to have been removed.

Why ???

After all Windows perfectly accepts these broken (ISO9660 wise) CD-ROMs.

I don't know whether 2.4.x still has the same "feature" that 2.2.x had.

A Spanish language training CD of mine has this problem, and I can't read
several files on it.

Hmm, or maybe your problem is simply that you forgot to enable the
"hidden" mount option for your CD-ROM ??
(some files are burnt with "hidden" attribute !)

Andreas Mohr