Re: [RFC] gcc compile-time assertions

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 17:40:09 EST

David Howells wrote:

> I've written a patch for gcc to implement compile-time assertions with an eye
> to making use of this in the kernel in the future (assuming I can get it to be
> accepted into gcc).

Brilliant.

It seems that there needs to be a way of detecting the
presence of the feature at compile-time, so you
can do

#ifndef HAVE_CT_ASSERT
#define __builtin_ct_assert(a, b) do{}while(0)
#endif

or whatever.

Apart from that, I'd suggest you fill out the FSF
damage waiver and see if you can make this part of
stock gcc.