Re: Linux Cluster using shared scsi

From: Doug Ledford (dledford@redhat.com)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 12:50:50 EST

Mike Anderson wrote:

> Doug,
>
> A question on clarification.
>
> Is the configuration you are testing have both FC adapters going to the same
> port of the storage device (mutli-path) or to different ports of the storage
> device (mulit-port)?
>
> The reason I ask is that I thought if you are using SCSI-2 reserves that the
> reserve was on a per initiator basis. How does one know which path has the
> reserve?

Reservations are global in nature in that a reservation with a device will
block access to that device from all other initiators, including across
different ports on multiport devices (or else they are broken and need a
firmware update).

> On a side note. I thought the GFS project had up leveled there locking / fencing
> into a API called a locking harness to support different kinds of fencing
> methods. Any thoughts if this capability could be plugged into this service so
> that users could reduce recoding depending on which fencing support they
> selected.

I wouldn't know about that.

--

Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com> http://people.redhat.com/dledford Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before e-mailing me about problems - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/