Re: isa_read/write not available on ppc - solution suggestions ??

From: mike_phillips@urscorp.com
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 08:12:41 EST

> We can certainly do that, no problem.

> BUT that won't get a token ring pcmcia card working in the newer
> powerbooks, such as the titanium G4 powerbook, because the PCI host
> bridge doesn't map any cpu addresses to the bottom 16MB of PCI memory
> space. This is not a problem as far as pcmcia cards are concerned -
> the pcmcia stuff just picks an appropriate address (typically in the
> range 0x90000000 - 0x9fffffff) and sets the pcmcia/cardbus bridge to
> map that to the card. But it means that the physical addresses for
> the card's memory space will be above the 16MB point, so it is
> essential to do the ioremap.

This is where the multiple support issue comes in. In ibmtr_cs.c we do
ioremap the addresses so pcmcia all works nicely. What we don't do at
present is an ioremap in ibmtr.c for the non-pcmcia adapters (isa & mca).
So, I suppose the real fix would be to implement the ioremap in ibmtr.c so
that regular read/writes can be used everywhere in the driver. (This is
half the battle with changes to the driver, it supports so many
combinations that one change for one type of adapter can kill support for
another adapter, and that's my bottom line with updates: No loss of
functionality we already had.)

Or we could just tell people to use the cardbus token ring adapter on ppc
instead ;)

Mike