Re: isa_read/write not available on ppc - solution suggestions ??

From: Geert Uytterhoeven (geert@linux-m68k.org)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 02:26:20 EST

On 1 May 2001, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> In article <OF7A9C6B22.E1638E60-ON85256A3F.004EADC7@urscorp.com>,
> <mike_phillips@urscorp.com> wrote:

> >lack
> >
> >> Treat it like a PCI device and use ioremap(). Then change isa_readl()
> >> to readl() etc.
> >
> >Bleurgh, the latest version of the driver (not in the kernel yet) searches
> >for turbo based cards by checking the isa address space from 0xc0000 -
> >0xe0000 in 8k chunks. So we'd have to ioremap each 8k section, check it,
> >find out the adapter isn't there and then iounmap it.
> >
> >Oh well, if that's what it takes =:0
>
> I would suggest the opposite approach instead: make the PPC just support
> isa_readx/isa_writex instead.
>
> Much simpler, and doesn't need changes to (correct) driver sources.

And while you're at it, please add isa_{request,release}_mem_region() as well.

Reasoning: while we can (and do) make ioremap(0xa0000, ...) work fine on PPC
(you must not use ioremap() for RAM, so it must be ISA memory space), we can't
distinguish between the first 16 MB of RAM and ISA memory space for
{request,release}_mem_region()...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that. -- Linus Torvalds