Re: 2.4 and 2GB swap partition limit

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 19:28:28 EST

On Tue, 1 May 2001, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> The right fix is to reclaim such pages only when we need to. To
> disable swap caching when we still have enough swap free would hurt
> users who have the spare swap to cope with it.

That's easy enough. When we are:
1. almost out of swap and
2. need swap space

Then we will be scanning through memory looking for something to
swap out (otherwise we'd not be in need of swap space, right?).
At this point we can simply free up swap entries while scanning
through memory looking for stuff to swap out.

regards,

Rik

Send all your spam to aardvark@nl.linux.org (spam digging piggy)